U8 - U10
Download the practice card
Area: Divide 30 x 36 into three zones. Assign goalkeepers to the middle zone and the players in the outer zone each have a ball.
1. Outer players attempt to play as many ground balls as possible through the goalkeeper zone to the other side.
2. The goalkeeper attempts to save the balls.
3. If the ball is saved the goalkeeper gets a point and returns the ball to an outer zone player.
4. After 3 minutes, see how many points the group of goalkeepers have. Now switch goalkeepers.
Technique of shooting.
Place your shot.
Try not to hit a GK that is not looking in your direction.
Keep the balls low.
If the GK saves the ball they distribute the ball with good technique.
Area: Three cones 20 yards away from goal with three groups of players. All the players have a soccer ball.
1. Player A starts the exercise by dribbling around the coach and shoots at the goal.
2. As soon as Player A has taken the shot, they turn and receive a pass from Player B.
3. Player A now passes to running player B who shoots at the goal.
4. Player B and C now play a 2 v 1 against player A.
5. Players rejoin a new groupwhen finished.
Player A shoots and then plays a 1 v 1 with player B. Once they have finished the 1 v 1 player C calls out the name of the player they want to play with in the 2 v 1. Player C and the player called play against the player that was not called.
Technique of shooting
Positive 1 v 1
Team work 2 v 1
Area: Play to one goal. Have some defenders and attackers stood by the goal and some midfield players stood about 25 yards from goal. The coach has all the balls.
1. The coach passes the ball to the first midfield player.
2. Two forwards and two defenders come onto the playing area.
3. A 3 v 2 towards goal is now played.
4. Once the game is finished, players go back to the start.
Try to get the attackers to use the extra player.
Spacing and angles.
Put in normal goals and scrimmage.
The joy of scoring goals
The feeling of allowing a goal and then working hard to get one back
Psychological / Social
Go, go , go
You need the coach to be enthusiastic
Short bursts of energy
1 v 1 battles
3 v 2 (harder on the two)
Shooting with the laces or the side foot
Choose a target to shoot at - Away from the GK
Body shape when receiving the ball
Angle of support
Pass to space or to feet
The understanding of when to shoot
When do we need a team mate for help?