U8 - U10
Dribble and shoot
Area – 25 x 30, 2 goals with goalkeeper’s. Each player has a soccer ball.
1. First player from each group dribbles towards the cone, performs a fake move at the cone and shoots at the goal.
2. They then get their ball and join the opposite group.
3. Move the teams to the other cone to work on their opposite foot.
1. Red line: One player at a time. First player dribbles and shoots.
2. After they take the shot, the next player from the opposite group starts. The player who has taken the shot sprints across to tackle the shooting player. If the player gets tackled, or takes a shot, they then chase the player from the other team who has begun the exercise..
4. After the chase, they then join their own group.
5. So, “After a shot, you chase!!”
• Striking the ball with your laces.
• Shoot across the GK.
• Play at “game speed”. Player’s intelligence, once they shoot, they chase. (It’s copying a loss of possession in a game. Looking for reactions.)
Download the practice card
Area – 25 x 30. Two teams. The coach has all the soccer balls. Each team is standing in their goal, linking arms.
1. Each player is numbered 1 - 5. (or more)
2. The coach calls out a number (or two numbers) and serves in the ball.
3. The player with that number from each team enters the field, plays a 1 v 1, 2 v 2 etc and attempts to score on the opposition’s goal.
4. The remaining players stay linked together and act as a large goal-keeper. If they break the chain, then a goal is awarded to the other team.
Team work & Fun
Encourage players to be positive
Attack at speed
Close ball control
Spacing when more than 1 v 1
Area – 25 x 30, 2 goals with GK’s. Teams are placed at opposite ends as shown with a cone facing each team 30 yards away.
1. The coach calls out a number. If coach calls “TWO”, 2 players from each team run around the opposite cone as fast as they can. They now attack the goal they are facing.
2. The coach serves in the ball. A 2 v 2 is played.
3. Play until a goal is scored or until the ball goes out of bounds.
4. Players return back to their group and the coach calls out another number.
1. You can play without GK's. The first player that makes it to the cone becomes the goalkeeper.
2. The coach places four cones in a diamond shape on the field. 4 players always start the exercise. When the coach calls out 'GO', 4 players sprint around the far cone and each player from both teams stands on a cone (players cannot stand on the same cone as a team mate) Once a team has all players on each cone the coach serves in a ball.
The joy of scoring goals
The feeling of allowing a goal and then working hard to get one back
Psychological / Social
Go, go , go
The exercises make players work hard
Short bursts of energy
1v1, 2v2 battle
There will be body contact
Shooting with the laces or the side foot
Choose a target to shoot at - Away from the GK
Body shape when receiving the ball and when shooting
Angle of support
Pass to space or to feet
The understanding of when to shoot
When do we need a team mate for help?
Where to place the shot