U8 - U10
Create scoring opportunities
Download the practice card
Area: Three cones 20 yards away from goal with three groups of players. All the players have a soccer ball.
1. Player A starts the exercise by dribbling around the coach and shoots at the goal.
2. When Player A has taken the shot, they turn and receive a pass from Player B.
3. Player A now passes to running player B who shoots at the goal.
4. Player B and C now play a 2 v 1 against player A.
5. Players rejoin a new group of players.
Player A shoots and then plays a 1 v 1 with player B. Once they have finished the 1 v 1 player C calls out the name of the player they want to play with in the 2 v 1. Player C and the player called play against the player that was not called.
Technique of shooting
Positive 1 v 1
Team work 2 v 1
The joy of scoring goals
The feeling of allowing a goal and then working hard to get one back
Psychological / Social
Go, go , go
You need the coach to be enthusiastic
Short bursts of energy
1 v 1 battles
60 - 90 minute session
Area – 30 x 40. 2 defenders are placed at each end of the playing area and are standing either side of the goal. Six players are stood with the coach. The coach has all the soccer balls.
1. The coach calls out a number, plays in a ball and points in the direction of the attack. “TWO!” Two players enter the playing area. (If the coach calls out “ONE!” A 1v1 is played.)
2. One less defender enters the playing area to create a 2v1.
3. If the two attackers score, the coach serves in a ball and the same two attackers attack the opposite end with one defender from that end entering the field.
4. If the defender wins the ball they can attack the opposite goal.
If the attackers score and attack the opposite end, they are joined by another player from the sidelines.
Good demonstration from the coach. Players need to be alert.
Make the extra player count.
Movement into space
Area – 30 x 40. Two teams, 4 v 4. You may have GK’s.
The teams play against each other. The rules of the game are:
1.When the attacking scores, that player joins the other team.
2.This will create a 5 v 3. If a player on the team of 5 score, they join the team of 3.
3.See if the teams that are playing up a player can create scoring opportunities.
Look for team play, counter attacks, make the extra player count and communication.
Shooting with the laces or the side foot
Choose a target to shoot at - Away from the GK
Body shape when receiving the ball
Angle of support
Pass to space or to feet
The understanding of when to shoot
Reaction to losing the ball or winning the ball