U15 - U18
Download the practice card
Area: 20 x 30. This exercise shows 12 players. Set up as shown. One soccer ball is used.
1. The starting player switches the ball to the opposite wide player and continues his/her run to the opposite group.
2. The wide player takes a good first touch inside and dribbles.
3. The center player makes an overlapping run at pace. The wide player passes the ball to the overlapping player who now passes to the next player.
4. The players that have just completed the exercise join the opposite group.
5. The attacking move now comes back in the other direction,
Variation: a) See red arrows. Both wide players play a give and go before passing to the overlapping player.
b) The receiving wide player touches the ball back to the central player who now dribbles while both outside players perform an overlap. Central player now decides which overlapping player to pass the ball too.
Weight of pass
Timing of run
Area: Two penalty areas as shown.
A 3v2 is on the field. The balls and players are behind both goals.
1. Darks attack the yellows in a 3v2 counter attack.
2. Whoever shoots the ball from the dark teams comes off and the two remaining dark players become defenders.
3. A yellow player now enters the field with a ball and joins in with the other two yellows. They now have a 3v2 advantage.
4. If the defenders win the ball they continue to play. If the defenders take a shot, the same 3 attackers play until they get a shot off or you can send in a new set of three.
Good passing, movement and communication.
Make the extra man count.
Create good angles for passing and look for third man runs.
Set up on half a field 8 v 5. In a 20 x 30 area place 9 players 6 v 3 and two strikers and two defenders on the edge of the 18 yard box.
1. The coach serves in the ball to the dark team.
2. After 5 or more passes the dark team pass a ball to one of the strikers.
3. Once the pass is made two black players can go and support the two strikers and one yellow player can go and defend (4v3)
4. Attackers attempt to score quickly.
5. If yellows win the ball, they have to try and get the ball to the coach.
Involve more players attacking and defending
Add wide players
Awareness of others, create angles and space
Defenders press as a team
Finish your session with a scrimmage.