U8 - U10
Ball control and passing Technique
Download the practice card
Area – One large circle with a smaller circle in the center. Size is suitable for the age and ability of the players. Have two equal groups. The players on the outside have a soccer ball. Players in the center circle do not have a soccer ball.
• The coach explains the control and pass required:
1. Players control the ball with the inside of the foot and pass it back to the server.
2. Control the ball with one foot across the body, and pass with the opposite foot.
3. One touch pass back.
4. Chest control and pass if appropriate.
•Once they perform the exercise, they MUST go back into the center circle, and then come out again and receive a pass.
• Players on the outside take legal throw-ins instead of passing. Player receives the ball and passes back to the thrower’s feet.
Quality control and pass.
Area – Same as the previous set-up, but take out the center circle and leave three / four players inside the circle. Always have one more ball than the number of players in the middle on the outside.
1. Players in the center receive a pass from the outside.
2. They CANNOT pass to the player who passed them the ball. They take their first touch with an open body position, and pass to a player on the outside who does not have a soccer ball.
3. Throw-ins can also be used by outside players. (Legal throws)
Put players in two’s in the middle of the circle (4 players) Players on the outside now pass to the designated player from each pairing, who passes to their partner, who then passes to the outside.
Field size to suit players ability. Play 4 v 4 with no GK. Or 5 v 5 with GK.
Normal soccer rules apply.
1. Teach the players when to dribble, when to pass, when to shoot.
2. Do not over coach
3. Let them figure things out themselves.
4. Step in if you see an opportunity to coach passing.
5. Players will very rarely pass the ball back. If you see that moment, teach it.
Players have to communicate
Team mates will verbally help a team mate
Better technique will create confidence
Psychological / Social
Go, go , go
Control with different parts of the body
Short bursts of energy
Control while moving
Close ball control
Using inside, outside and sole of the foot
Body part and body shape when controlling the ball
Pass to team mate or dribble
Creativity - Look one way and pass the ball another