10. Build up play
Area – Half a field extended by 10 yards with a 5 yard safe zone. 17 players including a GK arranged in a 7 v 7 in main playing area with two supporting players in the safe zone. Defenders line up the 4 defenders and three midfield players.
1. The coach plays the ball to a yellow player.
2. If pressurized the midfield player can drop the ball back in the safe zone to retain possession or switch the attack.
3. The purpose is to create scoring opportunities in free play.
4. The offside rule applies.
5. If the defenders win the ball they attempt to pass to one of the players in the safe zone.
If yellows win the ball off the defenders, encourage counter attacks.
Spread out when in possession
Movement and support
Combination passing to correct space or foot.